Integrated Learning through Gardening - Farmers’ Markets and
Conservation & Preservation of the Blackland Prairie (PreK-2)
FacultyForward is a one-week, four-hour a day professional development program for Pre-K through 2nd grade teachers. This program will teach you how to engage your students through hands-on, outdoor, experiential lessons focused on life and earth science, integrated with literacy, art, math, and social/emotional curricula.
Location: The Lamplighter School’s Barn & Gardens
Time: 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m., Monday-Friday, June 26-30, 2017
- Teaching the science of conservation & preservation of the Blackland Prairie
- Teaching integrated lessons through gardening and Famers’ Market Project-Based Learning (PBL).
- Learning how to design, develop, and implement a garden and Farmers’ Market
- Guest speakers from The Perot Museum of Nature and Science, The Dallas Arboretum, Real School Gardens, Dallas master gardeners, and Texas Native Plant Society
- Farm-to-Table cooking demonstrations using simple, fresh produce and products from Lamplighter’s Barn & Gardens.
- Blackland Prairie and Community Garden sustainability field study at Mountain View College
- Lesson plans connected to National and State Standards (TEKS & NGSS)
- Each teacher will receive The Lamplighter School’s curriculum guides for Conservation & Preservation of the Blackland Prairie, and Teaching through Gardening and Farmers’ Markets; seeds, planting calendar, compost, Prairie Time, a Blackland Portrait, by Blackland Prairie author, Matt White.
- Gretchen Pollom, BA in Biology, Perot Museum Pre-K - 4 Liaison with The Lamplighter School
- Anita Kurialacherry, BA in Chemistry; Masters in Teaching Science; Perot Museum of Nature and Science physics and chemistry educator; The Lamplighter School faculty member
- Cara Hicks, B.S. in Multiple Disciplinary Studies, University of North Texas, Pre-K Teacher at The Lamplighter School
For further questions about the program or about registration, contact Judith Mullens at 214-369-9201, x373 or firstname.lastname@example.org